The Patricia Theatre
The second of the public buildings in Powell River is the Patricia Theatre. The theatre was built in 1928 in the Spanish mission style, a popular style found up and down the west coast of North America in the 1920’s. Its original colour scheme was undoubtedly white, with small red-tile roofs below the parapet. The exterior foyer of the theatre opening onto the sidewalk has a wonderful mosaic floor.
Although the interior of the auditorium was modest in size, it made up for it in the exuberance of its decoration. Atmospheric murals of local shorelines and exotic peacocks seen through plaster archways encircled the patrons, and the stage curtain – remarkably still in place – is a glittering extravaganza of peacock green, pink and gold stencilled onto curtains of black velvet.